The International Water Management Institute (IWMI), a CGIAR Research Center is looking for a competent, self-motivated, and dynamic candidate to join as Senior Research Officer – Geoinformatics.
The Senior Research Officer (Geoinformatics) is responsible for performing a variety of remote sensing related tasks in the various donor funded water resources projects for the IWMI Pakistan portfolio.. The Senior Research Officer – Geoinformatics will collate all information (tabular, maps, text, etc.) available from national and international agencies on water (surface and groundwater), land, and climate relevant parameters for water accounting and water resources assessment. The officer will synthesize all spatial information, identify data gaps, acquire missing data from remote sensing approaches, validate the data with state-of-the-art instruments, and lastly, analyse the data so that it can be used to inform decision making on water allocations among sectors.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform GIS amd remote sensing operations at IWMI’s Digital Innovation Unit along with other team members, including, but not limited to, geometrical corrections, projection standardization, orthorectification, image classification, application of standard algorithms/models, time series analysis using multi-sensor satellite imageries, and preparation of standard outputs.
- Compilation of all GIS and remote sensing data for preparing maps on water availability and usage for multiple sectors.
- Assist in processing remote sensing imagery to estimate actual evapotranspiration from various crops and water bodies in the study area.
- Develop data analysis and modeling methodologies to support decision-making, particularly for water accounting.
- Generation of the technical report; create and update necessary documents concerning spatial analysis to augment the project objectives.
- Advanced computational and programming analysis of geographic data is required.
- Assist in producing technical reports and journal articles.
- Frequent travel is expected for this position between Quetta and activity site in Balochistan with typical 1 week stay at project site per month.
- Create geospatial datasets and cartographic outputs from primary/secondary data sources.
- Develop spatial models processing and analysis of bulk data using Google Earth Engine/Python scripts.
- Provide technical support to researchers in carrying out complex geospatial analysis for various research/management projects.
- Assist in the collection, compilation, evaluation, interpretation, maintenance and distribution of spatial and non-spatial data (and metadata).
- Assist in training and capacity building activities.
- Perform other related assignments as required
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, Space Sciences or similar closely related subject; experience with natural resources management or agriculture also preferred.
- At least 3 years’ practical experience of providing spatial analysis, cartography, visual aids, spatial analysis, infographics to support authoring of project dissemination material.
- Considerable depth of scientific knowledge and specialized expertise in GIS and Remote Sensing.
- Excellent spatial analysis skills in market leading software e.g. ArcGIS Server geo processing services, including developing Google Earth Engine, Python scripts.
- Complementary knowledge of social aspects of rural livelihoods in farming/agricultural systems acquired through formal training and/or work experience.
- The ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Excellent analytical, time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize work & achieve stretch targets.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and new procedures quickly.
- Attention to detail, precision and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated service approach and personal organization.
- Personal attributes include high standards of conduct, respect, flexibility and sound work ethics.
- Effective listening skills, excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
- Knowledge of Urdu, Balochistan and Pushtu will be an asset.
- Local geographic knowledge of Balochistan province will be an asset.
This is a nationally recruited position and only Pakistani nationals are eligible to apply. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The duration of the contract will be for a three-year period with the possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funds.
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, cover letter which addresses IWMI’s requirements stated above, and contact information of three professional referees who will be contacted if you are shortlisted for the position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through 24:00 (IST) on December 4, 2022 (Sunday).
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.