- Job Purpose
The Technical Coordinator will lead the technical support function of the Shelter Sector to guide shelter sector partners in the development and implementation of shelter programming. The purpose of the Shelter Sector Technical Coordinator role, as a key member of the shelter sector coordination team, is to to support the IFRC in fulfilling the sector coordination mission to:
- Provide leadership on the Shelter Sector technical support function, coordinating closely with stakeholders and humanitarian actors to provide guidance for the development and implementation of shelter programming options addressing critical shelter needs and recovery pathways of earthquake affected households.
- Inform a coordinated shelter response, in line with the humanitarian priorities, by developing and promoting technical standards, guidelines, and technical solutions in support to the efforts of humanitarian shelter partners and other relevant actors to jointly deliver an effective and adequate shelter response and to prevent and reduce the shelter-related vulnerabilities of the affected communities.
- Advise the Shelter Sector coordination team on the technical perspective and articulation of the overall strategy for the sector.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide oversight of compliance of shelter sector partner programmes with agreed technical guidelines, and advise the Sector Coordinator accordingly;
- Maintain an overview of market prices, quantity, and quality of shelter materials and essential household items available in the country;
- Ensure the establishment and proper working of ad-hoc Technical Working Group coordination mechanisms, including Sub-Working Groups, at the national response level as requested by the Sector Coordinator. Likely Sub-Working Groups would include: Minor repairs of light damage dwellings; Temporary shelter support; Informal site improvements; Rental assistance; and Hosting Arrangements.
- Promote inclusion of all stakeholders in the Shelter Sector by creating an enabling environment for their participation in Technical Working Group, and ensure that Technical Working Group partners work collectively in a spirit of mutual cooperation and through consensual decision-making, ensuring complementarity of various stakeholders’ actions as far as possible;
- Ensure an appropriate distribution of responsibilities within the Sub-Working Groups, with clearly defined focal points for specific issues as required;
- Identify and build relationships with key technical advisers and programme staff within the Shelter Sector partners, respecting their mandates and programme priorities;
- Identify and build relationships with other key partners, including relevant national authorities, private sector entities and social enterprises (site planning, engineering, architecture);
- Identify and build cooperative relationships with relevant sectors, particularly TSS, Protection and Disability and Inclusion Task Team;
- Support the execution of periodic review of the shelter sector strategy.
Additional functions and responsibilities
- Advise the sector lead agency on the approach and resources necessary to provide humanitarian agencies with the technical support services required;
- Promote and support technical training and capacity building of partners, the national authorities and civil society when requested;
- Prepare a short report at the end of the assignment on the lessons learned and recommendations for future operations;
Perform any other function related to the position, including the provision of administrative support tasks and taking of meeting minutes when applicable.
- University degree in architecture, civil/structural engineering, or other relevant areas
- Professional qualification in shelter-related sciences (e.g. architecture, civil/structural engineering)
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in shelter and settlements programming
- Experience in emergency response with early recovery / recovery transition planning
- Work experience in complex environments and ability to perform under pressure
- Experience in humanitarian coordination mechanisms
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Demonstrated ability for leadership in context of consensual decision-making
- Demonstrated management, coordination, and facilitation skills
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Cultural and Gender sensitivity
- Experience in building partnerships
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Fluently spoken and written Turkish
Competencies, Values and Comments
Core Competencies: Coordination, Communication, Collaboration and Teamwork, Judgement and Decision Making, National Society and Customer Relations, Creativity, and Innovation, Building Trust